Sunday, November 7, 2010

TEN LESSONS!

The Ten Lessons I Learned This Week in China

Lesson #1: Having my own stuff is wonderful! The store delivered my washing machine at 8:00 p.m. on Monday night. I had given up hope but my weiban said they would bring it and they did. I could hardly sleep that night because I was so excited. Imagine being that excited about something so ordinary as a washing machine! I washed four batches on Tuesday afternoon after I finished teaching. I had almost all the clothes I own hanging up in my dryer—my bedroom and sitting room with two space heaters and a fan going full blast.

Lesson #2: Ask for help. I walked into the school on Wednesday morning to teach my new classes. I had no idea which room to go to or what kind of class it would be. One of my class monitors came in the door and saw me. (Note: The students speak better than most of the Chinese teachers in the school.) I told her my problem and she took me to an office and explained my dilemma in Chinese to the woman. This woman got on the phone and found out the room number and Presto! I was in business. (I use this lesson often—at least three times a day. There is usually a student around when I need help.)

Lesson #3: Work can be a blessing. My two classes on Wednesday morning are teachers who are teaching in the rural areas of the Shaanxi Province. (Xi’an is the capital of this province.) They are so humble and eager to improve their English skills. Fortunately, I did a lesson that was a good introduction for them. (I feel the Holy Ghost prompting me in my planning often.) It was so fun to talk to them about how to teach their students while I was teaching them. The students in the second class were so sweet. They kept taking my picture. One of them wrote on her paper: “I love Robinson”. It doesn’t get much better than that. At first I was confused by their reaction to me. I realized later that it wasn’t me they were so excited about; rather it was the fact that I was the first American they had ever seen up close. It was an amazing, humbling experience.

The South Gate of the city wall History: Unlike many city walls in China, including Beijing's mighty ramparts, Xi'an's walls are still intact, forming a 9-mile long rectangle around the city center. In 1470, during the reign of Hongwu, the first Ming emperor, these walls were built on the foundations of the Tang imperial palace, using rammed earth, quicklime, and glutinous rice extract. The 39-foot bastions have bases up to 59 feet thick. 
Lesson #4: Experience the culture. Our weiban arranged for us to go to the city wall and walk in the 5K on Saturday. It was actually a marathon and some people were very serious runners. The 5K part was just for the non-serious walkers. We just went so we could say we had been there—bragging rights so to speak. I was excited because I have seen the wall several times from a distance but this was my first experience being on top of it. We had shirts (mine is XXXL and plenty big), a number (4027) and a red bag. I believe that is all you need to run a 5K, isn’t it? 
Our group from XISU: German teacher, Ruth, Dan, Ruth Ann (front), Laree and Gary Phillippi, plus lots of Chinese people on the top of the wall.
There were so many people there—of course. I saw all different nationalities and ages--very young and very “mature”. The guards at the entrances were dressed in their traditional costumes and the drum players were performing. It was fascinating. Someday I want to go back, rent a bike, and ride around the wall—about 13km.
Chinese guard in traditional uniform
Lesson #5: Never plan two activities close to each other in China. Today I was going to start tutoring some eight year olds in English at 10:00 near the wall. I thought the 5K started at 8:30, so I thought I could walk the three miles or so and then get a taxi and go to my appointment. Nope. We arrived at the wall about 8:30 and checked in. We waited around talking until it was time to check in and get a round sticker. Then we waited to start. The official 5K was going east, so I decided to go west and do my own 5K then get off the wall and get a taxi to my appointment. I started walking at 9:15 in the opposite direction. I walked and walked and walked and walked AND walked. It was about 9:40 and I realized that I needed to ask for help. (See Lesson #2.) I showed my written directions to some policemen and they directed me back the way I had come. I had done all that walking for nothing! I stepped it up a notch and headed back. Now one thing you need to know is that this wall was build 600 years ago and made of uneven stones. I was so afraid I would trip and fall. I have no idea how the runners were going to race on this uneven track.
Another tower on the wall
I finally reached the place where I had started my 5K and found some steps to get off the wall. I had been praying the whole time because I knew I was lost. Heavenly Father helps us even when we do stupid things. I talked to some other officials on the street, and they told me where to go to get a taxi. I called the Chinese tutor and told him I was coming. I found a taxi waiting outside a hotel—that never happens. He drove like a crazy man and I was only 15 minutes late for my tutoring. Whew! That was first 5K in China—and probably my last.
Traditional drummers performing

Lesson #6: The weather in Xi’an can be beautiful. We have had some of the most wonderful fall days imaginable this week. The sky has been so blue. The afternoon temperatures are warm—jacket weather, and it was a joy to be outside. Unfortunately, the heat does not always penetrate the thick walls of the classrooms, and I still need to dress warm for teaching. Fortunately, my clothes are getting bigger (having no dryer), so I can wear several layers under my pants and shirts.

Lesson #7: Some lessons work, others flop. I planned a lesson for my Oral English classes. I decided to have them design their own country. I was a little nervous about this because, as a rule, the students are not taught to create using original ideas. Instead, they memorize and recite back. I explained what it means to design something and talked about all of the things I wanted them to create—climate, location, land formation, government, etc. and put them in groups of four or five. They also had to design and draw a symbol, a map, and a flag. I thought it would take 20 minutes. They worked for 90 minutes—nonstop! They were not always talking in English but they worked together and most didn’t even stop for the break. Next week we will present them in class. Some of them thanked me for the activity when they left class. When does that happen in America—except at Snowcrest!

Lesson #8: Prayer works—see all of the above and below. Yes, I even prayed about my washing machine.

Lesson #9: To be a teacher, you must be willing to learn. I find that I must be humble and teachable because I am like a small child here. I must learn the same old things but in a different way. However, that is a good thing. It will keep my brain active—I hope. This is a lesson I relearn every week.

Lesson #10: When I do a favor for some people, they keep asking for more favors. My boss at the new campus, April, is a very interesting person. I have talked with her a few times and she is friendly and helpful, especially when she needs me to do something for her.  A few weeks ago she asked me to help with a speech contest. I agreed and it was fun. Last Monday night about 7:30 I was sitting at my desk minding my own business when she called. I answered the phone and she asked me to edit a power point presentation that the president of the university was giving the next day. I agreed. She emailed me the presentation and I read through it. I changed a few things and then called Sue Nibley, another English teacher here, to check it over. Sue found all of the rest of the mistakes. By now it was about 9:45 p.m. April called to ask me about the power point. I told her that I would email the corrections to her and she could make them. She told me to go ahead and make the corrections and email the power point back. I worked for about a half hour and finally felt like I was finished. I tried to send it and my computer would not attach the file! It was too big! I was frantic by now. I finally burned it to a CD and took it up to Sue’s apartment and had her send it. It took forever for her computer to attach it as well but at least her computer was moving. With a sigh of relief, I fell into bed at 10:30. April emailed me on Wednesday and thanked me profusely. Then she asked me to give speech to the Translation students on language and culture. GULP! What have I gotten myself into? I am finding that you do not tell the Chinese people no.

Leah and her husband, a chinese couple invited us over to their apartment for dinner on Wednesday. After a delicious meal and delightful conversation, we took a picture. The people are Leah and her husband, Sue Nibley and me. Leah is a teacher at the university and one of my mentors at the beginning. Her husband sells insurance and they have a beautiful home. Sue is another English teacher.

Those are my lessons for this week. I hope I am a quick learner so I do not have to repeat most of them. Alas, I have a feeling that next week will have more lessons for me to learn. Life here is good. Take care.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a slow computer...what do you think, Karen, maybe a 286 processor over there (when you were trying to adhere your pwr pt as an attach)? I would think China would be pretty up to date and I guess that is the irony I see my cmptrs shipped from Shanghai; yet, whether all the general populace has the means whereby to become current is another thing, isn't it? I have heard the many millions of poor are hid away there (not that any of us saw that when SU olympics from Bejing not so long ago) more (poor) than most have a real idea of if truth be known, is that right? A lot of ironies I have been told and even if a person lived in China 70's+ years they would learn something very strange each and e/day I have heard tell?

    ReplyDelete