Saturday, December 25, 2010

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

M  E  R  R  Y
C ommunication: My time in China has taught me the importance of communication. I have thoroughly enjoyed having the opportunity to email all of you and receive emails from you. It has made me feel a part of your lives and not so lonely. In addition, I have learned the value of sign language and body language when shopping and trying to talk to the Chinese people. Most important is the communication that needs no words or signs but goes from heart to heart. I hope that I can communicate my love for you from my heart to yours this Christmas season.
H appiness: My time in China has taught me the power of making my own happiness. I am convinced that happiness is a choice, a choice I get to make every day. I find happiness in serving others, not in serving myself. This is especially true as I teach the Chinese students about speaking English and how it will help them in their lives. My students love to talk about this subject, and it is a delight to see the joy of happiness in their eyes.
R elationships: My time in China has taught me the strength of relationships. Family and friends are priceless. I want you to know that I thank my Heavenly Father everyday for you. My branch president got a new job and moved away with his family in November. In his last testimony, he told us that the relationships we make in this life will continue in the next. What a powerful truth that is. 
Integrity: My time in China has taught me the importance of having personal values, especially integrity. The value system here is very different from the one I am used to back home. Many times I have just shaken my head in disbelief at the difference. However, I am more convinced than ever that a society must be based on the value of honesty and integrity to be successful. Deception and corruption are alive and well here in China as they are throughout the world, but honesty is still the best policy.
Scriptures: My time in China has taught me the need for spiritual guidance on a daily basis. I thought I was being smart by leaving my scriptures home and, instead, downloading a copy of them on my kindle. It only took a few weeks to realize that was a big mistake. I do use my kindle to read my scriptures, but I have found that I need to physically hold them in my hand to study them or prepare a lesson for Sunday School. Luckily I will be able to pick up some scriptures in Hong Kong next month. There is no substitute of the word of God in my life, especially since I am so far away from home. Hold onto your scriptures with both hands, for they truly are the rod of iron.
T alents: Although I knew that I had some talents before I left Utah, I feel that I have developed new ones and expanded the old ones here. I am not naturally a people-oriented person, but the generous, giving nature of the Chinese is helping me to open up more. Many times I have racked my brain for a way to teach a concept to my students, and invariably, the idea has come. That has been a humbling experience to know that I could not do this without the help of my Heavenly Father every day. I am truly blessed. I also recognize that I must use my talents to bless the lives of others or I will lose them.
M emories: My time in China has been filled with new experiences that have changed my life forever. Many I have shared with you, some I have not. In time, these experiences will only be memories. However, those memories will last forever—including my first White Christmas in China. It was raining when I woke up yesterday and then turned to snow later on in the morning. The first snowfall of the year is always magical, and I was thrilled to see it turn the campus into a winter wonderland. Somehow Christmas without snow is not quite the same. It was another blessing to help me feel the Christmas Spirit halfway around the world.
A ttitude: My time in China has given me an attitude of gratitude for all of my blessings. I am grateful to be an American, raised in a country of freedom and liberty of thought and action. I am grateful for the knowledge, wisdom, and understanding of this life and the next. I am grateful to be surrounded both home and here with dedicated people who have set such a good example for me. I am grateful for my teaching experience in China, and I have learned much from my humble students this semester. There are many things about China that could make my life here difficult. I choose to have a positive attitude and look on the bright side. That has made a world of difference.
S avior: My time in China has given me a deeper love for my Savior. In a society where religion is virtually nonexistent, I find myself clinging to my faith more and more. I am grateful for the tiny Babe born in Bethlehem. I am grateful for Jesus Christ, the Good Shepherd and Master Teacher who walked the streets of Galilee and taught on the hillsides of Judea. But I am most grateful for my Redeemer who died on the cross and rose the third day, a glorified Being. I know He lives. Without Him none of the rest of this would be possible or worthwhile. He truly is the reason for the season.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. My sweet students have given me gifts and wishes for a Happy Christmas. Some of the teachers have gotten together as friends for parties and socializing. All in all, it has been a special time for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment